Thursday, July 07, 2005

Is it wrong...

Growing up I always bought into the idea that knowlegde is power.Not very profound I know, but I do think that.I also think that,that belief has led me to be the cyinical, some may say a little "obsessed"(i perfer passionate) music and movie snob(as my friends call me..with love im sure) that I have evolved into today. Now where does the knowledge aspect of this come in you ask? Well here it is, the reason is ,I find that when I am interested in something I research and read and listen and watch anything on the related topic. This will then lead me to believe that I have an infomed opinion on things like the music and movies that I read alot about and as such have become a "snob" about I ahte the radio, top forty, and most mainstream stuff. This would explain my collection of auotobiographies and stacks of music magazines.(Any one want old issues of Rolling Stone!!)Now if I would keep this to myself it wouldnt be a problem, however people come to me and will talk music and movies with me and at some point the words like crap!..that sucks, total shit, how can you listen to that!! will eventually spew from my pie hole! But they ask my opinion, they know im "the pop culture" guy so they bring it up. Which brings me to my point of this rant ,if you ill.....Is it bad to try and put people on the right path towards something new!. I find the people that I deal with on an everyday basis(aside from my friends)like co-workers and employees arent open to new things. Open your mind people!!! I think the thing that bothers me most is the music factor. Younger people today(NOT THAT IM OLD!!!) dont know the history of things..they dont know that with out the blues, r&b, and roots music there would have been no Beatles, Elvis,Rolling Stones adn LEd Zepplin wich in turn would have led to no Nirvana, Pearl Jam,Guns and roses(all of which the people that work for me consider the oldies) which would have led to no thing that they listen to today. I just try and show them that...is that so bad..try and teach..now your right maybe I shouldnt make the future shop guy walk away in shame(but he had bad music taste)and maybe I should be patient with people as bad music taste is not the end of the world and doesnt make you a baad person(does it?). There are more comnstants in life than just death and taxes...country will always suck(except Johnny Cash), Creed and Nickleback will NEVER be considered cool..even if the lead singer for them dies, and I think Im doomed to judge peoples cd collections although you can tell alot about people from that. But i resolve(half heartedly) to try not to impart my opinions (in a bad way) on others i will mearly suggest that they should "check this out is they like ...". I can already see myself failing that. But oh well that is mearly my quirk..if Your not passinate about something arent you just going through the motions of life, souldn't you be excited about something in life,wheather it be Books, art, litrature,pop culture, or Kevin Smith movies. I think the people that dont get excited about something are the same as those that dont drink never have drinkin or will they ever partake of alcohol...they make me nervous....I think my real point is find something that excites you in life...oh and don't, by any means or for any reason listen to Celine Dion, im pretty sure that her voice given the right circumsatnce will make your head explode.Scanners Style !

1 Comments:

At 5:26 PM , Blogger Lunchbox said...

"O-ohh, you were finished. Well then, allow me to retort." -- Jules

Hey man, everyone's gotta have their opinions, and they're all valid. I think the question as to one's preference in music is and should be independent of one's musical knowledge.

Each one occupies a different half or part of the brain, really: one's all about facts and relationships between data points, and the other is about enjoyment and whatever sparks a favourable or sympathetic feeling.

I know a tiny bit about music - enough to know Cash and Orbison came from music roots so deep that there was no distinction between Country and Rock back then, and so cannot be labeled as either style - but I do know a bit about what I like. Unlike the facts, though, what I like changes from day to day or mood to mood.

And although I'll never appreciate Celine Dion's music because it lacks substance and always sounds like a StarSearch performance,
I do occasionally listen to Nickelback. Yes, it's true. I like the easy tunes, simple hooks and stadium-rock format of their tunes, very We Are the Champions for some of it, if you'll allow such a comparison.

Look at my music collection: You'll find a lot of Offspring, Delerium/Conjure One, Cure, Enigma, A-Ha, Cult, New Order, Def Leppard, Nine Inch Nails and Manic Street Preachers. But it sits beside Poe, Queen, Contingence, Sting and Eagles. I also intend to buy some Collide, some Stabbing Westward, more Sum41 and Everlast and Lacuna Coil. And I need some Chantal Kreviazuk so I don't keep stealing Erick's.

The only thing I don't have is gansta (c)rap and country. And Celine, but I class her as StarSearch and not music anyway. One viewing of her covering Jackson's 'Bad' is enough to convince the world or her true ability.

My comments are longer than my blog posts.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home