Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Been awhile since I have seen a double feature...





So last night was "Grindhouse Night", I figure since my beloved Habs weren't in the Playoffs it was time to go to a movie and drown my hockey related sorrows in some Tarantino\Rodriguez goodness. And besides when was the last time you got to see a 2 movies for the price of one that didn't involve hiding in the bathroom after the movie you paid for was over so you could sneak into the late show...not that I have done that of course, but I digress...

Any time a new offering from Tarantino comes out it's a time to rejoice I say, unless your talking about the one blight in his catalogue, Jackie Brown, and the whole premise behind this flick was a homage to the B- movies of yester year(Can't believe I just typed yester-year..) The movie as a whole is an experience form the opening credits and fake trailers to the end. I think the only thing missing was people smoking in the theater, to make it feel even cheaper and dirtier. The movie starts of with a fake trailer for "Machete" (this was the best of the fake trailers...fucking with the wrong Mexican..hahahaha)and goes right into the Rodriguez directed "Planet Terror". This is the most fun Zombie movie I have ever seen, next to Shaun Of The Dead, it doesn't take it's self to seriously. It's your typical Zombies created by a military accident take over a town and a small group of stranger led by the mysterious outcast try to stop them. I actually thought that Rose McGowan was good in the role of Cherry Darling. That being said this movie won't win any Oscars, but that's not what they are going for. Remember it's supposed to be a b-movie.


The second half of the movie is the Tranatino directed "Death Proof", and this was the part I was really looking forward to. Ever since I saw Pulp Fiction then immediately went out and saw Reservoir Dogs I have been a fan. The guy is crazy, but he has this was with dialogue, that seems so effortless and real. I like the directors and writers that tend to lean towards the well written dialogue this would of course explain my love of the Kevin Smith, and as with the other movies in Taratino's career this is no exception. He even writes for women well, as Death Proof centers around women. with the only guy really in the cast being Kurt Russell playing Stuntman Mike. This movie was again ,fun. And Tarantino has proven he can shoot an action scene with this movie. Lots of car action in this. It's funny as i sit here and type this somewhat of "my review" I have been tiring to not spoil any plot points but damn it, it's a couple of b-movies really no real plot twists, just some schlock and gory b-movie goodness. But see this movie, it's long (3.5 hours)but it's fun and besides any movie with Rosario Dawson should be worth the viewing...

Playlist of the day:

Neil Young Live At Massy Hall: 1971

This is a great live album,. Even for fans of Neil and have heard the songs before. But the time frame that this album came out in. Just after "After The Gold Rush" and "Harvest", so alot of the songs that he does form Harvest haven't been heard yet by the fans...just a cool album to listen too...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home