Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A music snob looks a little deeper.


The following info is going to be old news to anyone that follows anykind of pop culture media, but oh well..bear with me on this one alright..

A recent poll done among British music fans found that they believe that "definitely, Maybe" by Oasis is the best album of all time...Let that sink in....

I thought a lot about this since I read that. "You mean to tell me that that album is better than Revolver(#3) or Abbey Road!" by the Beatles was the first thing I thought, two albums that have long bounced back and forth in my mind as the two best off all time.I mean for the love of God this is the Beatles we're talking about. The group that helped define music today. In fact I could list a whack of better albums than Oasis' debut album. Pink Floyd's the Wall, Nevermind-Nirvana,Loaded by The Velvet Underground,Neil Young's Harvet or After the goldrush, Zepplin II, exile On Main Street by The Stones the list could go on and on.

But then a thought crossed my musical-elitist-snob(not my words)mind...am I ready to accept that one day a band will write a better album than the Beatles?

As a self-confessed music snob I have a deep love of the Beatles and am well aware of the place they hold in musical history, I credit them with creating pop music, insiring a generation of bands, changed the way music was written blah blah blah. But could Oasis be capable of writing a better album Than Abbey Road?

The Gallagher bros. once said that if the Beatles were bigger than Jesus then they were bigger than the Beatles (or something like that), a statement that got them a lot of press back in the day. This kind of thing is great for debates with the Heterolife mate and the Homeoffice music division but I am beginning to think it's a losing battle to convince those not in the know. I almost think that it is generational, most kids today have only heard of The beadles not heard The beadles I was born in the late 70's, but had my mind opened at a young age. Kid's today need to do that. They need to know where the music came from, share it with others.

Of coarse it could also be a geographical thing. Ask kids in the US and they will probably say a Dylan album or a damn Springsteen album. Ask a kid in Compton and it's "The Chronic" by Dr.Dre or something. All this points to the fact that maybe (again)I realize that I take this stuff too seriously(though I do laugh at it, it's not like it ruins my day )and besides it was in fucking England for Christ sake the land of Boiled food and crappy candy..and Robbie Williams...so what does all this late night rambling come down too...fuck Oasis thats what..(except for "Don't look back in anger..I like that song)..they won't change the world like The beatles or The Stones or even Dr.Dre, and I can rest easier knowing that...I really need to find a program haha...

1 Comments:

At 9:57 AM , Blogger Dlae said...

I agree with the fact that you would have to look at the average age of those polled to see where they are coming from.

I like the Beatles, I appreciate what they did in musical history, and I used to love their sound. The first album I ever owned was Sgt. Peppers, so the Beatles will always have a place in my heart.

But as of right now, I don't own any Beatles albums. I don't listen to them on a regular basis. I do own at least three Oasis albums. I listen to them regularly on the good ol' mp3 player. So maybe I'd end up agreeing with those British people, who knows?

And remember I'm older than you, so that's even a factor against the age thing. Maybe it is geography, who knows? I'm sure if you polled in the right place in the U.S., at any given time they might think an I.C.P. album is the greatest.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home