Wednesday, August 10, 2005

What I've been reading, listening to, seen lately

So, I haven't posted lately( as I have been reminded of on a regular basis by the two people reading this) so I sat down to write. And there in lied the problem...Its has been a blissful week in my little world where no one has pissed me off(which is the usual genesis for my little rants) and I haven't read any news stories on Bono(and we all know how much I hate the Bono), so I encountered a little writer's block... So I decided to write about stuff that I have been reading, listening to or watching lately.

We'll start with the reading material. I have read 2 1\2 books in the last month. It started with finally getting my hands on a borrowed copy of High Fidelity by Nick Hornby(thanks Jen..). Now I am a big fan of the movie, for those unfamiliar with the movie...Get the fuck out..No really..Put your shoes on and take the walk of shame out the virtual front door and don't come back till you've seen it.....JUST KIDDING..But do yourself a favour and see the movie AND read the book. The movie is about a guy named Rob Gordon(the mighty John Cusack) and his travels through life and love. It also has Jack Black in a scene stealing role as Barry one of the employees at Rob's Used record store Championship Vinyl. In most cases the book is always better than the movie.but this is one of the few that actually complement one another, go search these out and find them and add them to your collection.
Next I was given as a gift(again thanks Jen) Kevin Smith's book "Slient Bob speaks".
If you are a fan of the Kevin Smith movies and Kevin smith himself read this book. It is made up of collected articles that he has written over the years for magazines and was one of the funniest things I have read in awhile(not counting the bible...I am so going to hell...). Any fan of Kevin Smith needs to read this book, and as a side note if you have never checked out his blog,"My Boring Ass Life" you should do so again funny as hell and always fun to read.
http://www.silentbobspeaks.com/
The other thing I have been reading Is of course the new Harry Potter, I am only about half way through and have avoided all reviews about it and no nothing of the ending, and I intend to keep it that way.

The only interesting new DVD I have purchased lately would be the new 'Constantine" DVD. Now I saw this movie in the theatre and thought it was good. Seeing it again did not change my opinion, I think this movie, based on the DC comics character, John Constantine", had some interesting idea on catholic\Christian theologies and is definitely worth at least one viewing even if it is a Keanu Reeves movie.
I can't get to the topic of movies with out mentioning "War of the Worlds"...I can't be the only one that thought this movie was useless can I??...Dumb..wanted my money back and a refund on the 2 hours I spent in that peice of garbage. I mean Spielberg made a good lookin movie...but it still sucked....I mean come on Aliens help Tom Cruise to be a better father...arrghhh..The 1953 version was better.
That brings us to what have I been listening to well there has been a lot lately.
The past few months has given us some decent discs. The new White Stripes album "Get Behind Me Satan", is in heavy rotation, such a good album, but I could go on and on about why this album is good and that album is amazing. So I will just list some of the current music that has come out and trust me go find it these are all good!!
beck--Guero
system Of the down---Mesmerize
Foo Fighters--- In your honour
Kings Of Leon--youth and young manhood , Aha Shake Heart Break
Well thats that...God I wanna see Tom Cruise die in a movie......one can hope.....

1 Comments:

At 1:47 PM , Blogger Lunchbox said...

We rented Constantine last night, and I have to say it was a better Reeves movie: more Matrix than Bill and Ted (although Bill and Ted was awesome).

I totally agree that the images and concepts presented in the flick were really decently rich themes to chew on.

I'm concerned that they don't go into as much detail on some issues; after further reflection I fear that the whole framework will unravel and the movie will be revealed as trivial. Either that, or they'll just make a Constantine: Reloaded to really insult us and render it all pointless.

Was Lucifer right to move bodies and lay on hands? I think, benevolent as they were, both actions break the covenant against involvement in very big ways; especially the latter, since his motives there are obvious.

Since, as a boy, John could see the terrestrial manifestation of the influence of demons on people - recalling They Live in the effects - and since those demons would become aware of his presence in the same instant he was aware of theirs, would they not act in concert and speed to remove him? Their infiltration of the corporeal realm would be otherwise unobserved if all such watchers were eliminated as soon as they made themselves known through the unconscious exercise of their innate ability, so it would seem the natural thing to do. How's a 15-year-old kid defend himself against a soldier demon when he's not really sure what the hell's (ha!) going on in the first place?

Other than by shutting off what is essentially a homing beacon, how does denying one's innate Sight actually help a person? Sure, of course, now the new demons you see won't really know you were/are talented, but since the puppeteer-demons controlling the bodies of the slain hosts would still remember her likeness and ability, wouldn't she still be equally as marked for early attention, considering her ability, regardless as to whether it's dormant or not? How does reducing the amount of available forewarning actually become a help?

I should stop before I ask why the demons assaulted them on the street vs in the apartment, and how a christmas-tree Jesus - a glossed over ambiguity in that offshoot-cult of a potential scam religion which recalls Hubbardism in the first place - as an icon (mooby) is any kind of protection against the forces of evil, especially when it's not blessed, sacred or even hand-made by a being with a soul, 6 years old and vietnamese or no.

Ironically, that entire scene is a bit Jacob-on-the-plains symbolic in its entirety - and I'm sure there's a painting I've seen once that is directly suggested by the climax of that scene - but at least we're not getting hit with it like the louisville slugger gnostic symbols we're buffeted by in the Matrix .. I mean the one that the guys stole as opposed to having to write by themselves and thereby botching.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home