Thursday, December 01, 2005

Back in the day....


Back in the day....It's a phrase that we often use in our everyday venacular..ok maybe I use it in my every day venacular but that is besides the point..I was reading Jen's blog today and she was talking about things from her childhood, those little memories that she holds dear of times and places gone by.


Her entry got me to thinking about things from my childhood, things that I miss from that simpler time when a hose and a dirty pile meant hours of fun and goofy highjinks...ok maybe there were no highjinks or goofy neighbor's but things definitely were fun. I thought about writing something like hers, a remeberence of sorts of a particular memory and the little details, but let's face it, she's the writer in this relationship, what I write is the equivalent of dick and fart jokes,to her elequoent passage but that's because while I was reading Spider-man comics she was reading Jane Austen novels...but I digress...

I have decided to go with a list, a list of things that I miss doing or seeing or something from my childhood,and I figure with the political themes around here lately it might be a welcome change, so here it is... A list of shit I miss about being a kid...

1. The wonderment of the Holiday season- Part of me wishes I could still get excited about Christmas the way you do as a kid, The nervous energy building to the day. The excitment of finding what ever was covered under the wrapping paper"A NEW SWEATER ALRIGHT!!!...ok maybe not the sweater exactly but you get the idea. And it's not that I don't get excited now but it's a different kind of excitement, far from that get-up-at-6am-and-see it Santa was there-get-MomandDad up kind of excitemnt. Now my parents are luckey if I'm ther by 930am....

2.The sense of never being bored. As a kid you could always find something to do. Had an empty box and it became a new toy. If it was big enough it was a fort or small enough and it became a base for your G.I Joe's...ah yes G.I. Joe's

3.Saturday morning cartoons..come on do I need to explain this. And as a side note Captain Crunch cereal or Fruit loops were the diet of choice. You needed the sugar to get through the next 6 hours of mindless cartoon fun.

4.Super Mario Brothers and the Nintendo entertainment System, was there anything better...the weekend afternoons spent around the NES (cause when your down that's what you call it..the NES...That's just the way we rolled...)playing the Mario Brothers or Blades of Steel, or RBI Baseball...oh what fun...

5.The Saturday trek for comics...That's right the comic trek. We would hop on the bus and before we actually had a comic book store we had to hit like 5 places in town to get all our books, it was an all day thing. After we got our first comic store things were made easier, and the experience was a little different but the delight in coming home with a bag full of the latest titles never went away, of course back then I could get 4 comics for 5 bucks..now 5 bucks gets you one...maybe.

6. I miss how you were easily entertained. How else does this explain the love of such t.v. shows as Knight Rider, The A-team, and Macgyver, Saved by The Bell and silver spoons....

7.I miss street hockey...we all love the street hockey...but come on as adults we just don't have the time anymore, unless we work at a corner store and can play on the roof.....

8.As a young child I had not yet been exposed to the evils of Bono.....

9. The fact that as a kid you had no responsibilities......

10.Its been said before, here in fact, but video arcades what a truly awesome, enjoyable waste of money...

I do think that even as we get older we do have to hold on to some aspect of being young. You have to allow your self to still do something you enjoy even if in the stuffy adult world it gets looked down upon as "immature" wanna read comic books?...go ahead, here I'll recommend some...Get excited over movies...Hey I like the way you think....Like to talk like Foghorn Leghorn(I say..I say hey boy..You were wondering if I was going to tie that picture in weren't you) just to get someone to laugh...do it..its worth it. I guess the next question is what do you miss..

2 Comments:

At 11:22 PM , Blogger Dlae said...

I miss nothing about my childhood, and I'll tell you why:

1)The Wonderment of the Holiday season - Still have that..I wonder where I'm gonna get the money to pay for all this shit.

2)The sense of never being bored - Dude I try and fill every empty box I come across.

3)Saturday morning cartoons - Sunday evening cartoons. Or did you forget about Family Guy already?

4)Super Mario Brothers and the Nintendo entertainment System - I prefer Super Hot Duo Week @ the J bar. Now that is joystick action!

5)The Saturday Trek for comics - What about the Friday Night Trek for booze?

6)I miss how you were easily entertained - You've seen the shit I laugh at. Tell me I'm not easily entertained. I laugh at guys with no legs trying on pants, for christ sakes.

7)I miss street hockey - Like you or I can run around in the road for 45 minutes. Even if we had the time.

8)Bono - You're still hatin' on Bono? Admit to the fact that he busted your anal cherry and your bitter that he hasn't called. Get over it. Fuck when you were little you probably listened to the Mini-Pops.

9)No Responsibilities - Ok you may have me here, but what are you responsible for now? Making sure the mold in your apartment gets at least two hours of sunlight a week?

10)Video Arcades - I cannot argue with this as I am the brilliantly quoted source.


But otherwise I agree with everything you've said.

 
At 12:34 AM , Blogger Lunchbox said...

Ya gotta understand here, that, when I was a kid, we was po'. With that in mind, then:

1) Yeah, you're right there. I consistently got the flu/mumps/measles/pox/whatever, but it was still fun as long as we didn't have to go and see our annoying arrogant cousin's family.

2) dlae, you're a pig. Don't ever change.

3) We got 3 channels as a kid, and two of them were the same. We got flintstones, bugs bunny and, um, flintstones. Also none of that Rich Kid cereal -- cheerios, shreddies or puffed wheat for us. I'm so glad for some of today's cartoons and enough money to have bought a box or two of Froot Loops in my day.

4) We finally got a coleco when I went into the 9th grade. Thank god for richer friends! I agree with dlae here too.

5) I never read a comic book (too expensive) until when I was 22 or so. We had archie comics, but they sucked.

6) TV Sucked. We had Mash, A-Team and Disney on sundays. No really, I suck that harsh. However, dlae's no-legs guy could be worth a lark.

7) didn't play hockey. No money. Can't skate, can't shoot, can't throw, catch, hit, dunk/shoot, dribble, slide into third or even hardly sink anything off the break.

8) I think you need counselling for some kinda child abuse. Who the hell is Bono? Some clown you 'met' at your 11th birthday? Did he show you any tricks with his snake?

9) good point. And dlae, that's ME who takes care of domestic mold. Keep it straight!

10) Ah, yes. The video arcade. Didn't have money when we were kids in the Okanagan, but the Family Fun Centre, man, that was an institution. It was almost the safest place to be, I think, since it was policed by people tougher than cops and more powerful, and no one sold drugs to strangers there. Not so bad, really.

I'd let my kid go there unattended, even if I would make him wear his fucking dicktracy watchphone when he's still under 16 years old.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home