Monday, September 26, 2005

Back to our regularly scheduled program.....

So it's been awhile since I have been here pushing my opinions on the 5 people I know read this and any other nameless people that may have trip over this little diatribe of mine in the vastness of cyber space. I had been experiencing a little bit of writer's block but last night I heard something that kind of snapped me out of it, something needed to be said after I experienced what I did last night. What snapped me out of it...Well let's say this...Thank god for the Rolling Stones.

So here's the story..I got to work yesterday and one of the young kids that work for me says "Hey I have something for you...I burnt you a copy of the new RollingStones album "A bigger Bang." He said it was good and I thought sure I'll give it a listen. So that night as I sat to do my end of day paperwork I plugged in the CD player we have a listened to it.........................Sorry that was a long pause cause I was just reflecting on the..Um..crappyness...Yeah that's the word for it..That this album is!!!!!
Now I'm a Stones fan don't get me wrong but this was just bad...Why is it that these once great bands think they should still put out music? It's rather disappointing to think that the band that put out great albums like "Let it bleed" and "Exile on main St." and wrote great classic songs like "Gimme shelter" and "Brown Sugar" put out this drivel. I have no problem with the Stones still touring really from what I've seen they still put on a good show,but don't they realize that they are just a nostalgia show now..People don't want to hear new stuff from them..They want to hear the songs they know and love. On the new album they sing about girls and loss and all this other crap right...Which is good for any other band really but this is the fucking RolloingStones, there all in there 50 and 60 good god....They are past the point when they can sing about sneaking into a girls room...That is just damn creepy. Age, success and knighthood have ruined the stones for today. It's not very often a great artist from that golden era of music can put out good material again...A few come to mind..Neil Young..Bob Dylan..The singer songwriters mostly...but an aging rock band? Come on Mick and Keith accept it you are a nostalgia band don't attempt more albums it's really just silly...There is a great line in High Fidelity that says"Is it wrong to blame a once great artist for there later day sins, sub question is it better to burn out than to fade away?" this is truly a great question, should we blame these great artists for trying?...They need to realize it's not going to happen again the Stones will never write another "Symphony for the Devil" or "Paint it black", live on your past glories..Past the torch, its over fellas...Keep touring but I for one will prefer to remember you for "Happy" and "Shattered"..Not the drivel you pass off on the fans "you care about" as a new album....

2 Comments:

At 2:23 PM , Blogger Dlae said...

I know this is going to amaze you and anybody else who reads this blog.


I agree with everything Joe has said.

Taht is all.

 
At 2:53 PM , Blogger Lunchbox said...

I think it's been proven that Fading Away is better -- if we establish that Fading Away is when happens when bands stop releasing any new material and start fading from the consciousness. Take AC/DC, for instance, and ignore their new album: before this album came out, the die-hards remembered AC/DC well; the newbies had no idea. That's really the best way to remember a band, a loved one or a favourite chocolate bar no longer in production (bastards!). If they're remembered at all, it's better they're remembered fondly.

If only Axl could understand that.

On the other hand, depending on the group, maybe trying one more kick at the whale is good: The Smashing Pumpkins is one band from whom I really want to see new material, could really be as good as they once were. Maybe it's a break from writing which could keep a band fresh, so maybe an extended period out of the limelight - like Billy Corrigan - may ultimately help a band from becoming too much into itself.

If only Axl could understand that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home