Monday, February 27, 2006

A musical identity....


Over the years and through the ages, music has been a constant. From the caveman's drums to the Beatles singing I wanna hold your hand to Jimi at Woodstock to Bob Dylan going electric in 1965 at the New Port Folk fest, music has helped define a generation, a people and has stood as a bench mark for memories and experience for many people, this thought isn't new by any means and has been talked about before here.

But with all of the Olympic coverage lately I have been thinking about the national identity of this great country of ours, and more specifically...Our identiy through music. I know what you thinking I always find some way to bring music back into the conversation but bear with me here, and besides this is my corner of cyber space so fuck ya...


See here's the thing. If you look at the US they have a guy by the name of Bruce Springsteen. Now admittedly I am not the biggest fan of the "Boss", but Americans love him, He exemplifies the blue collar hero to the US. He comes across as this average Joe, who gone and done right. He stands up for the little man and stands up to "The Man". He is as American as Apple pie(how did our neighbor's to the south corner the market on apple pie anyway...Oh well). If you look at the past Britain had two of the most important bands EVER The beadles and The Stones. To this day England still loves their Sir Paul and Sir Mick and they have latched onto more modern bands like goldfield and Radiohead. Very pretentious bands(in my humble opinion) to match the prentiousness of England it's self. So what am I getting at?

We as a nation..Who is our musical identity?..(The first person to put in the comments any of the following I will hunt you down and smack you I swear: Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Nickelback, Brian adams Avril Lavigne or the Bare Naked Ladies) or better yet what makes the quintessential Canadian Artist.


I think a Canadian artist, a true Canadian artist, has a different feel to their lyrics, a vivid imagery in the stories or thoughts that they are trying to get across in their music. With this in mind I submit my top Five:

1. Neil young- This guy is a musical genius. That's it...I know some of you out there are going to have something to say about this choice...Right Mr. Sidekick?

2.The Tragically Hip- Just as Canadian as beer maple Syrup and Hockey on a Sat night. I heard that groan from here by the way...Yeah you know who I am talking to...

3.Sam Roberts- Ok he's a newer guy with only one real album but he to me has that great nack for great lyrics. Almost like a Neil with the Hip rock edge...

4. Stompin Tom Connors- A list of Canadian artists is not complete with out this guy..

5. Gordon Lightfoot- Ahh surprised you with this one didn't I?..Gordon lightfoot is like the softer more friendly ying to the yang of Neil Young. He has the same fanatsic talent for imagery, and Canadian imagery at that, that Neil conveys through his lyrics..

It's hard to express excatly what I mean by Canadian artist..I think it is easier to tell you what isn't(see list above)..I think it is important to keep things like this close and defiantly Canadian. It might not seem like a big deal, but it is part of our National identity. Do you really wanna become the 51st state...

But then again amybe I just think too much about this stuff...gotta get me into that 12 step program...

5 Comments:

At 8:26 AM , Blogger Lunchbox said...

Didn't that flannel-wearing fiddler from the maritimes win some kind of award? Seems we should include him too.

I know! Whitesnake! They're Canadian, right? Okay: Mr Mister. Platinum Blonde?

Okay, but do consider George Thorogood and BTO. I do like to think that we're an independent and efficient bunch.

 
At 12:13 AM , Blogger Dlae said...

Dude, you summed it up yourself.

As Canadians, how do we present ourselves to the world? We are well liked, average, kind but plain. Therefore your listing of hated bands does sum us up quite nicely. That is what the world sees.

However, when they do arrive here for the Olympics, they'll find that Canada is more than moose and beer. Dig a little deeper and you will find that we are passionate and proud, and well represented by your second list of bands.

In any case a twelve step program is certainly advisable.

 
At 7:49 AM , Blogger ThatGirl said...

My only concern is that you spelt The Beatles with a d...seek help.

 
At 8:51 PM , Blogger Dlae said...

He's Spellchecker illiterate; you have to kind of read between the lines. It's what makes it one of the most challenging blogs out there.

 
At 10:11 PM , Blogger jobe said...

I feel very dirty in that I forgot Blue Rodeo and the Band...two of my absolute favorites....I shall go sit in shame now...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home