Friday, January 20, 2006

Can you pin point that one mistake


We all make mistakes, it is human nature to error, but can you look back at and pinpoint what the biggest mistake you have ever made, that one mistake that if you could go back and do things differently you would have, and no I am not talking about the "Woke up next to some strange girl after too many shooters kind of mistake", and actually mistake that has affected your life beyond having to get some topical cream to clear up what ever it is you woke up with.

There are those, like The Sidekick, The Homeoffice,Bish and Jen that know excatly what I am talking about and know this story but generally I have kept it from family...And you will see why. But now I share it with you, those in cyberspace that may come along and find this blog of mine and take a little time out of your day to read it.

So here it is, I will try and keep it a little condensed because it is a long story.

So about 6 years ago I was living with a two friends of mine, The Emperor of Port Alberni and his Girlfriend Dawn, things had come to the point where I felt I needed to move on to give them the space to let their relationship blossom...really it just opened the door for unchecked cheating...but this is not that story.

So I had a good job but decided to move in with a roommate anyway it's what I knew and thought why not...but I wasn't going to just move in with anybody..No...I moved in with my cousin, the cousin who was more like my big brother when we were growing up..Inseparable and people even thought we looked alike. This I thought was a great plan so I found the house and we moved in....

Things were fine for the first while...No real problems he spent a lot of time at his parents and with his girlfriend so it was fine.

Now one day he decided that he would just take care of the phone bill and I would look after Hydro..had no cable so this worked for me..they were comparable bills and I too thought this would be easier. The thing to make a note of at this point..It was all in my name...You can see where this is going can't you?....

After awhile I came home one day and opened the phone bill...And nearly choked on the beverage I was drinking...Thought "This Shit CAN'T BE RIGHT!!!"...A phone bill to the tune of $1400 was staring me in the face...After a discussion and an apology for calling phone sex numbers it was decided that he would pay it (as he should have) and I called the phone company to put a restriction on the line without his knowing it. But as the month went on he didn't have the money and I had to dip into the savings to pay the bill, and a whole months rent and other random bills from third party Phone sex bills that came in with my name because the phone of course was in my name..After all was said and done..My whole savings of 2500 was down the tube..With a promise to pay back. I mean it was my cousin, he bucked up and felt bad and I thought he deserved the benefit of the doubt.

So I kept that to myself, didn't tell the family or anything, then and I can't remember the exact time line but I think it was a month or two later I opened another phone bill to discover another large bill, now remember that I put restrictions on the phone and did everything that I should have..I opened up a $3000 dollar phone bill...Let that sink in for a minute..I'll wait....Yup I typed that right $3000....So around that time he was moving out to go to school..I still kept this to myself except for my then girlfriend who knew and the sideshows but again no family or anyone that could affect his life....

Fast forward to this month, now by this time his family doesn't know, but my brother(who is joined at this cousin's hip) and now my mother know. I have been truing to take the high road but I had to take out loans and stuff to pay this shit and I have to this day not seen one red cent from him. I have had the "You owe me money talk" with him probably like 5 times, and for the last two years he has been going through all this ICBC stuff because he was in car accident and the story I keep getting is wait till the stalemate comes in.

So I called him last month to see if he wanted to grab a coffee and discuss or situation..This made him fly off the handle. Picture this he calls me at work because he was supposed to drop by and organize a time to meet. After a few minutes he proceeded to tell me that he is sorry but has no money then after I tell him that I have been extremely patient and I need something..He proceeds to tell me that I'm lucky that he didn't sue me for DEFEMATION OF CHARACTER...Sue me? This is impossible as any info I have given out to anybody has not cost him any public or even private humiliation. He has no legal leg to stand on. So the battle rages on.

But this is my biggest mistake of my life, I would go back and change it in an instant.....

3 Comments:

At 4:35 PM , Blogger Lunchbox said...

Family can cause us to take a lotta shit, actually way more than necessary. I think I roomed with family about three years too long, actually, but it's easy to give them another chance when they really really need you to.

I agree, that it's not the way a bro treats a bro, and I'm glad I stopped taking it too.

Get nasty, Dude, and get your shut taken care of any and every way you can. Too bad we can't all request paperwork on this shit, eh? Like an IOU back then seemed unnecessary but would be rockin' now.

Family? Fuck em. They disrespect you, they're no longer family. Just ask my mom.

 
At 4:36 PM , Blogger Lunchbox said...

s/shut/shit/ in the above. I suck at proofing.

 
At 1:12 AM , Blogger Dlae said...

I've always said that you should have done something sooner, but at least you are on the right track now.

Your biggest weapon against this schmuck is shame. Tell him to try and take you to court. His family will surely be interested in why this is going on, and the supposed allegations (read: truth) will have to be documented in court for all to hear.
So if he wants to dispute those allegations in front of everyone, that's great, but I bet nobody shakes hands with him after.

Always remember that you are completely in the right on this. Were you not his family, he would have been shit-kicked and exposed all over town.
At least that's what I would have done.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home