Sunday, June 11, 2006

It's official...My Childhood is coming back


Being born in the late 70's, I was three when the 80's came around.

This means that I am now at the age where people start buying back their childhoods. Me I am not really one for that,I never had the need to buy those nostalgic items from my childhood, especially since I still have my comic book collection, a mint condition Optimus Prime(the only Transformer that survived the purge of the old room by my mom) still with the fists and trailer accessories(trust me that is a feet unto it's self), some random G.I.Joe vehicles and action figures, and remember when Michael Jackson was a genius and the King Of Pop. Hell I had Thriller(on tape damn it)when it first came out, the yellow Sony "sports"walkman, Back to the Future, Robocop and those John Hughes movies..ahh yes the 80's memeories..

However there were parts of the 80's that sucked, don't get me wrong(Culture Club, Rick Springfield, and Teen Wolf Too) but nothing compares to the one thing that changed life as much as one thing. This changed how you spent Sat afternoons and the time between after school and dinner. What is this life changing thing you might ask?. Well my friends look no further than ..The original Nintendo entertainment System and more specifically Super Mario Bros.

I don't care who you are we all loved this game. The story of Mario racing through the Mushroom Kingdom in search of Princess Toadstool fighting the forces of the evil Koopa all the way through. The excitemnt of finding the warp zone on level 2 or how on level 3 stage 2 if you bounced the turtle shell just right you could get like 100 lives. The hours spent on that game were astronomical and to this day remains the only thing(well maybe Tetris too) that I wish I still had from childhood. If I could find someone that would part with an functioning NES I would so buy it.

But Nintendo does seem to know what it's doing. After many incarnations of Mario games over the years this remains my favorite,(though Mario Cart for the 64 is a close second)they are releasing a "new"Super Mario bros for the hand held Nintendo DS, (the older brother of game boy is my understanding)it looks and plays very much like the original and only for 150 bucks plus the price of the game. You know this is marketed at the "nostalgic for my childhood demographic", kids today have Halo and World of warcraft...Me I want me some Mario action like back in the day.

It seems to me like I can be 12 again for just 150 bucks, I might seriously think about this now. But then you have to wonder is it like everything from our childhoods that was cool then, but now loses it's magical appeal. I mean come on when you were a kid Top Gun seemed like a cinematic masterpiece things just don't hold up. I played Mario Brothers for the first time in years last year and it still was fun. I'm sure I could justify the purchase some how..Maybe I should have a garage sale to bankroll the trip down memory lane. Worked for someone I know....

2 Comments:

At 10:12 AM , Blogger Dlae said...

As if people don't think we are gay already, we both go and make Nintendo posts?

Sad.

At least mine was up first.

 
At 12:09 PM , Blogger ThatGirl said...

I freakin loved SMB. It came out a couple years before i was born so i pretty much grew up on it, wich, i think, makes it even better. The only thing that pissed me off was the jackass at the end of each castle, telling me that Princess Toadstool wasn't there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home