Saturday, December 10, 2005

So here it is, we are almost at the end....



So...Its only a few days now till the end of the year...And like alot of people around this time of year I have begun looking back on the year that was, however I tend to look back on it in terms of Cds and DVDs and movies, what can I say,in case you haven't noticed I really should be a twelve step program for this kind of shit.

But one thing became clear as I looked back on the year...There wasn't much to get excited about in terms of new music and only a handful of really good movies and... Some pretty bad ones. So I have decided to compose a list of things I liked and disliked no real order but here we go a quick year in review...

1.The albums that came out of nowhere to bite me in the ass are....
Both of The KIngs of Leon albums(youth and young manhood & Aha shake heartbreak. I was late to the Kings of Leon party but these guys are a breath of fresh air. For those that have not heard them, the best way I can describe them is Southern rock sensibilities, mixed with the raw power of The White Stripes with the indecipherable lyrics of a drunk Bob Dylan...Amazing go get them now...Or don't..The less people that like them the easier it is to get tickets...

2. The movie with the biggest hype machine that disappointed me the most is...
Fucking War of the Worlds...got this movie sucked ass...2 hours of watching Tom Cruise act like a bitch running from aliens that are eventually defeated by the common cold..And the only real out come is Tom Cruise becomes a better father because aliens invaded the Earth....Stupid...Me personally I enjoyed the original better check that out here

3. Some of the best CDs of the year are:
Beck--Guero
System of a Down- Mesmerize
White Stripes- Get behind me Satan
Both Kings of Leon albums(see above)

4. The movie that I didn't think I would enjoy but ended up laughing my ass off at:
The Dukes of Hazzard...I went into this movie with low expectations, I grew up with the original and it holds a special place in that same place as Sat morning cartoons, and the A-team. But I liked it..even enjoyed it..it was campy, and different from the T.V. show but I'm glad it was...I would suggest renting it when you want mindless entertainment one night...

5.Some bright points at the movies this year were...
Batman Begins...Finally they get it right..from comic geeks everywhere thank you Christopher Nolan!!

Sin City...a feat in film making!!..This movie was one of the most literal translations of a source material I have ever seen. This movie was amazing, had a great story or stories I guess, It LOOKED AMAZING! Frank Miller should be proud of this. This movie has jumped into my all time favorites.....

Constantine-- An over looked movie...I enjoyed this and not because it was based on a comic movie but because of the ideas and such that it tried to get across. An under appreciated movie that I wish more people saw...

Lords of war-- ok it's a Nick Cage movie but it was a little thought provoking and enjoyable, something a little different....and it kind of made fun of the States so that good...

Revenge of the Sith-- I don't need to explain this do I...I was disappointed by the other prequels but I feel
George made up for it here

And of course the movie everyone is talking about..Walk The Line...I have read "Cash-the autobiography" by Johnny Cash and knew the story going in but I really enjoyed this movie. I also appreciate that Joaquin Pheonix and Reese Witherspoon played the interment and sang for the movie.

The person I was most sorry see past this year...
The late, great Hunter S. Thompson..Hunter left us in Febuary and for those of us that have read is books(Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, ScrewJack, Hell's Angels, Better than sex:Tales of a political Junkie)it is sad to see him go. He was a person that did what he wanted and was one of the last true outlaws in this world of conformaty and corprate drones..he will be missed...

Those were some highlights in an otherwise "so-so" tear in the world of pop culture. So now we can look forward to next year and what do we have to look forward to?? .. Well I'm glad you asked...Right of the bat there are two movies that come to mind that I am looking forward too...Check them out here and here These are two movies I hope live up to the Trailers and expecataions..

That's it..that's all I've got...Now go out and read something or see a good movie visit the cd store buy something I have mentioned or at least try something new..take a chance...I'm out...

1 Comments:

At 10:09 AM , Blogger Dlae said...

His math is as bad as his spelling.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home