Saturday, September 09, 2006

He's crazy, but at least he's more consistent than Lucas...




It was a long Saturday at work, after a long night at the poker tables on Friday. I played Ok, but actually folded pocket Kings at one point because I thought the other guy had Aces, rookie fucking move,turns out he had pocket Queens but Oh well. That's the way it goes sometimes. However I am going off on a tangent(which usually happens when somebody brings up poker)nobody came here to hear my poker tales. The whole point was that after a long day today, and long week or so in general I needed a night at home, and what better way to spend a night at home, but with the DVD player.

So on the way home I stopped at the store and got food that will probably kill me in the long run, but damn it a movie night calls for junk food. I kinda felt like Cliff Huxtable when Claire was out of town and he got to have hoagies(that's right I referenced the Cosby Show..What you gonna say about it). The only question was what to watch, I was in the mood for a trilogy or something, but when I couldn't decided on Star Wars, Indiana Jones or gay ass midgets on a walk(sorry there not gay..They're just hobbits..), I went with the next logical choice.... Pulp Fiction.


Now Pulp Fiction is, in my humble biased opinion, a cinematic marvel. Quentin Tarantino can write and direct a movie, and this movie is a force from the beginning to the end(except I can really do without the Bruce Willis storyline"The Gold Watch"). Everything that made Reservoir Dogs so good was here bigger and better. And is arguably the best of Tarantino's movies(Kill Bill 1&2 are up there). After I got my fill of Jules, Vincent. It was still early so I decided I had to have a Star Wars...So I watched the Pulp Fiction of the Star Wars universe...Empire Strikes Back.

And you know these movies do have some shared imagery. Sure one is about drugged out hitmen who seem to talk about food alot("Royal with Cheese"" I don't eat pork cause a pig is a filthy animal", coffee.)and the other is about a whinny farm boy and his cool friends rebelling against the man ,but if you look hard enough it's there.

Both movies are a dark contrast to the one before it, both were the pinnacle of writing in each director's career(although Tarantino has made a comeback in recent years, again Kill Bill) and both had an underdog white guy fighting to do what was best for them while trying not to let the "Man" keep them down. And just by Chance the "Man" in charge for both movies is a big Black dude!(Marsellus Wallis and Darth Vader- brothers from another mother I say). Now you could go on the racial side of things but that's already been covered well enough by Kevin Smith in "Chasing Amy". Empire also has Lando but as the Hetero-life mate will know..that's a whole other topic for another time.

Overall after the last little bit it was nice to spend a night at home. It just needs to be done every once in awhile.That's really all I got for now..but I think one more movie for the night is in the cards. Have an early tee-time in the morning, but I think Almost Famous is calling my name...for the second time in a week.

No playlist today..but here is your Youtube clip of the day..enjoy.(NSFW)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home